|←2003 2004 2005→|
2004 was Hollyoaks's tenth year of production.
Early in the year, Redmond asked Hallows to devise a shock double-death story. Hallows chose to axe characters Gordon and Helen Cunningham, with both exits unannounced up to transmission. However, Hallows grew to regret the decision and a few months later, phoned Bernard Latham (Gordon) to offer a return as a ghost.
In March 2004, it was rumoured that there were to be fourteen characters axed from the programme, most rumoured characters departing the programme. Mikyla Dodd (Chloe Bruce), who was one of the rumoured departees, quit in search of other projects. Characters rumoured to depart who did end up departing were Daniel Hyde (Scott Anderson), Elize du Toit (Izzy Davies), Max Brown (Kristian Hargreaves), Andy Newton-Lee (Robbie Flynn), Helen Noble (Abby Davies), Jamie Luke (Norman Sankofa) and Darren Bransford (Nick O'Connor). Actor Andy McNair quit the programme in 2004, insisting that Dan Hunter was killed off against Jo Hallows's advice.
Hollyoaks aired its first 4-episode post-watershed mini-series in July 2004, titled Hollyoaks: After Hours. A second round of open castings was also held, documented in Hollyoaks: On The Pull - however, unlike Hollyoaks: Casting Special in 2000, On The Pull consisted of more than one episode. These auditions saw the castings of Simon Cole as Jeremy Peterson, and Roxanne McKee as Louise Summers.
- 13th January - Robbie Flynn and Norman Sankofa recruit Dannii Carbone as a model for Joe Spencer. (First appearance of the character)
- 23rd January - Gordon Cunningham suffers a heart attack. Dan Hunter is arrested for the murder of Toby Mills.
- 4th February - Toby Mills's funeral takes place.
- 13th February - Gordon, Tom and Helen Cunningham are involved in a car accident.
- 16th February - Gordon Cunningham dies of a heart attack caused by his injuries sustained in the car accident.
- 19th February - Emma Chambers goes into labour and gives birth to the son of her and Ben Davies, whom she names Arthur. (First appearance of the character)
- 20th February - Helen Cunningham dies in her sleep from injuries sustained in the car accident. (Final appearance of the character)
- 27th February - Gordon and Helen Cunningham's funeral takes place. Angela and Cindy Cunningham return for the funeral and Angela leaves afterwards. (First appearances of Cindy and Angela since 2000, and last appearance of Angela until 2006)
- 5th April - Dan Hunter's trial for the murder of Toby Mills begins.
- 7th April - Louise Summers and Sean Kennedy marry in Ibiza.
- 6th April - Kristian Hargreaves meets Stacey Foxx, whom he has a one night stand with. (First appearance of Stacey Foxx)
- 9th April - Dan Hunter is found guilty of the murder of Toby Mills.
- 12th April - Izzy Davies discovers that she is pregnant.
- 20th May - Izzy Davies leaves the village after splitting from her husband, Ben. (Last appearance of Izzy until 2007)
- 24th May - Dan Hunter attempts suicide in prison.
- 4th June - Scott Anderson is arrested for fraud after being set up by Darren Osborne.
- 7th June - Lee Hunter discovers the body of one of Toby Mills's murder victims.
- 10th June - Scott Anderson sets fire to The Loft and tries to trap Darren Osborne inside. Darren pushes Scott down a flight of stairs in an attempt to get the keys to unlock the doors, and leaves Scott to die. (Last appearance of Scott until 2005)
- 11th June - Darren Osborne discovers that Scott Anderson is likely to have survived the fire at The Loft when no body is discovered.
- 16th June - Dan Hunter is released from prison after Ellie Mills clears his name.
- 23rd July - Following the death of his mother, Bombhead has a mental breakdown and begins seeing visions of the late Gordon Cunningham.
- 28th July - Ellie Mills is found guilty of perverting the course of justice.
- 2nd August - The Owen family arrive in the village. Nick O'Connor leaves the village to travel around the world. (First appearance of the Owen family and final appearance of Nick)
- 5th August - The Dog in the Pond is burgled.
- August - Steph Dean suffers an epileptic seizure.
- 12th August - Chloe Bruce leaves the village, turning down Matt Musgrove's offer of a reconciliation in favour of a job in London. Matt also leaves the village afterwards. (Final appearances of Chloe and Matt)
- 25th August - Richard Taylor and Liz Burton marry.
- 6th September - New Hollyoaks Community College student Zak Barnes arrives in the village. (First appearance of the character)
- 9th September - Dawn Cunningham and Jack Osborne's long lost biological daughter, Beth Johnson, returns to the village after seven years.
- 22nd September - Lee Hunter proposes to Abby Davies, who accepts.
- 12th October - Jack Osborne collapses due to kidney failure.
- 15th November - Johnno Dean leaves the village, running away to be with to be with Michelle, a 19-year-old whom he got pregnant. (Last appearance of Johnno since 2005)
- 18th November - Darlene Taylor is pushed through a window by her step-brother, Justin Burton.
- 26th November - Darren Osborne is attacked by Dan Hunter.
- 29th November - Dan Hunter is arrested for assaulting Darren Osborne.
- 14th December - Michelle gives birth to her and Johnno Dean's son, whom she names Presley Dean.
- 22nd December - Jambo Bolton appears in Tony Hutchinson's vision, encouraging Tony to stop being so miserable at Christmas. His friends fear he may have died but he is still alive. (Final appearance of Jambo Bolton)
- 24th December - Dan Hunter is killed when his rally car explodes during a race. (Final appearance of the character)
- 30th December - Dan Hunter's funeral takes place.
- 31st December - Following the death of her boyfriend, Dan Hunter, Debbie Dean leaves the village to work as a singer on a cruise ship. (Last appearance of the character until 2005)
Real life events
- 18th March - GCSEase: Hot Wired at Hollyoaks is transmitted.
- 5th July - The first episode of Hollyoaks: After Hours is aired.
- 8th July - The final episode of Hollyoaks: After Hours is aired.
- 13th December - The first episode of Hollyoaks: On The Pull is aired.
- 27th December - Hollyoaks: Dance Workout is released on DVD.
See also: Category:2004 debuts.
See also: Category:2004 returns.
|Angela Cunningham||Liz Stooke||27th February 2004|
|Cindy Cunningham||Stephanie Waring||27th February 2004|
|Matt Musgrove||Kristian Ealey||July 2004|
|Jambo Bolton||Will Mellor||22nd December 2004|
See also: Category:2004 departures.
See also: Category:2004 episodes.
- Special episode.
|←2003 2004 2005→|