|←2001 2002 2003→|
2002 was Hollyoaks's eighth year of production.
2002 saw an uncertain future for Hollyoaks: despite Channel 4's decision to renew the contract for the programme, executive producer Phil Redmond was left enraged by the cancellation of Brookside and threatened to pull the programme. However, Redmond's outlook for the programme changed completely in 2003, with Redmond claiming to have learned from the mistakes that lead to Brookside's axing.
This year saw the show's first serial killer, whose identity was kept secret in a whodunnit storyline. The Dean family were introduced in November 2002, whilst Jamie Nash and Theo Sankofa were killed in a potholing disaster later in the month.
Other stories included Laura Burns's obsession with Mandy Richardson becoming dangerous, the arrival of the missing Ellie Hunter, Norman Sankofa becoming homeless after the death of his brother, a custody battle between Alex Bell and Anna Green over their son and Adam Morgan becoming wheelchair-bound after a car accident.
Actor James Redmond decided to leave the role of Finn in late 2001 in favour of becoming a presenter, with the character departing in January 2002. Lesley Johnston (Laura Burns) quit the role to become a midwife, and Ross Davidson (Andy Morgan) quit after expressing his disapproval of a lack of stories for his character, resulting in Eve White (Sue Morgan) and Kate Baines (Beth Morgan) also departing.
2002 also saw the show break the Guinness World Record for longest on-screen kiss, with a kiss scene between Ben Davies and Ellie Hunter lasting three minutes and fifteen seconds, a record which wouldn't be beat until eleven years later in 2013.
- 11th January - Adam Morgan discovers that he is paralysed from the waist down following a car accident with Mandy Richardson.
- 25th January - Finn leaves the village. (Last appearance of the character until 2013)
- 28th January - Scott Anderson's trial for the rape of Beth Morgan begins.
- 1st February - Scott Anderson is acquitted for the rape of Beth Morgan as Beth had discussed sensitive details of the case with journalist Alyson Turner.
- 16th February - Cher McQueen is born.
- 21st February - Dan Hunter suffers a seizure.
- 22nd February - Sally and Les Hunter's daughter Ellie, who went missing in Ibiza in 1999, turns up on their doorstep suddenly. (First appearance of the character)
- 8th April - Beth Morgan is arrested for assault after spitting at Scott Anderson.
- 15th April - Becca Hayton is diagnosed with gonorrhoea.
- 3rd May - Beth Morgan accidentally runs over Scott Anderson with her car. Beth had driven at him to stop him harassing Izzy Cornwell, but was unable to stop in time.
- 24th June - Lisa Hunter is hospitalised after slitting her wrists, after Steph Dean publicly exposes Brian Drake and Zara Morgan's affair.
- 2nd July - The body of the first victim of Hollyoaks' mystery killer is found outside The Loft by Ben Davies and Ellie Hunter.
- 16th July - Ronnie, Les and Dan Hunter are arrested for motor vehicle theft.
- 27th July - Romeo Nightingale is born.
- 6th August - Lee Hunter, Norman Sankofa and Bombhead are arrested for underage drinking.
- 26th August - Beth Morgan is sentenced to two months imprisonment for hitting Scott Anderson with her car.
- 17th September - Julie Matthews returns to the village to go into business with her ex-fiancé, Tony Hutchinson. (First appearance of Julie since 1997)
- 27th September - Alex Bell attempts to flee to Hong Kong with his son, Charlie. However, Anna Green discovers his plan and convinces him to give Charlie back to her. Alex leaves for Hong Kong alone. (Final appearance of the character)
- 3rd October - Eve Crawford leaves the village after Becca Hayton informs Eve's mother about her stealing. (Final appearance of the character)
- 7th October - Tony Hutchinson and Julie Matthews are accidentally locked in a freezer.
- 17th October - Luke Morgan returns to the village for his parents' second wedding. (First appearance of the character since 2001)
- 18th October - Sue and Andy Morgan remarry.
- 21st October - Luke Morgan leaves the village following his parents' remarriage. (Last appearance of the character until 2017)
- 22nd October - Izzy Cornwell meets new Hollyoaks Community College student Kristian Hargreaves. (First appearance of Kristian)
- 25th October - Lisa Hunter begins receiving abusive text messages from an unknown stalker. Beth, Sue and Andy Morgan move to France. (Final appearance of Beth and Andy, last appearance of Sue until 2021) Barry Newton's friend Eli hangs himself. Ten year old Barry discovers his body.
- 1st November - Debbie Dean arrives in the village. (First appearance of the character)
- 5th November - The Dean family throw a bonfire night party, which ends with a fight between Jake Dean and Dan, after Dan catches Jake flirting with his sister, Lisa. (First appearance of Frankie, Johnno, Craig and Jake)
- 14th November - A landslide causes the van that Jamie Nash, Ben Davies, Max Cunningham, O.B. and Theo Sankofa are travelling in, to roll over and slide over the edge of a cliff. Theo dies after falling from the back of the van and down a mountain. The van later falls off the cliff with Jamie inside. (Final appearances of Theo)
- 21st November - Theo Sankofa's funeral takes place. Jamie Nash awakens from his coma.
- 22nd November - Jamie Nash dies of his injuries sustained in the landslide. (Final appearance of the character)
- 28th November - Becca Hayton discovers that she is pregnant.
- 29th November - Lisa Hunter's stalker is revealed to be her ex-boyfriend, Brian Drake.
- 10th December - After her split from Max Cunningham, Anna Green leaves the village with her son, Charlie. (Final appearance of the characters)
- 13th December - Becca Hayton has an abortion.
- 23rd December - When Mandy Richardson refuses to move to South Africa with her, Laura Burns knocks her unconscious by smashing a bottle over her head and kidnapping her. Laura attempts to kill herself and Mandy by poisoning herself and Mandy, but Mandy manages to throw a paperweight through the window, catching the attention of Tony Hutchinson, Adam Morgan and Max Cunningham. Laura is arrested and Mandy is taken to hospital. The body of the second victim of Hollyoaks's mystery killer is found outside The Loft. (Final appearance of Laura)
Real life events
- 18th February - Hollyoaks introduces a revamped theme tune.
- 9th April - Hollyoaks: Party! Party! Party! is published.
- 7th June - Hollyoaks: Seeing Red and Hollyoaks: Running Wild are published.
- 21st June - Hollyoaks: The Official Companion is published.
See also: Category:2002 debuts.
See also: Category:2002 returns.
|Cindy Cunningham||Stephanie Waring||May 2002|
|Julie Matthews||Julie Buckfield||17th September 2002|
|Luke Morgan||Gary Lucy||17th October 2002|
See also: Category:2002 departures.
See also: Category:2002 episodes.
- Bumper episode.
|←2001 2002 2003→|