|←1998 1999 2000→|
1999 was Hollyoaks's fifth year of production.
This year saw the show begin to broaden, as the programme began to focus on the residents of Hollyoaks as opposed to mainly surrounding a group of students. The size of the cast was increased, and the programme gained a third weekly episode in September 1999.
1999 began with the departure of popular character Kurt Benson, who was later supposedly killed in September. The "death" of Kurt initiated the return of Rob Hawthorn, who attempted to kill Kurt's remaining friends and family before his demise in a bus explosion on Millenium Eve. The year later saw the introduction of the popular Morgan family, as well as five students: Geri, Anna, Sam, Alex and Nikki.
Stories transmitted throughout the year included Sean Tate's domestic abuse towards Cindy Cunningham and her daughter Holly, Lucy Benson overcoming her heroin addiction after the death of her friend Clare, Sol Patrick going off the rails after learning that he and Gina were Jill's adoptive children, Kate Patrick finding her biological father and having an incestuous relationship with her long-lost twin, and Finn inheriting a castle and wealth from his grandmother.
- 15th February - New pool lifeguard Adam Morgan arrives in the village. (First appearance of the character)
- 18th February - Finn crashes his bus into Jambo Bolton's shed.
- 25th March - Ruth Osborne meets Luke Morgan at the pool, and is left smitten by him. (First appearance of Luke)
- 1st April - Sol and Jill Patrick are left seriously injured after Sol accidentally crashes his car through Store24. New Deva owners Sue and Andy Morgan arrive in the village. (First appearances of the characters)
- 12th April - Lucy Benson's friend, Clare, takes an accidental heroin overdose. Lucy discovers Clare laying dead on her bed.
- 10th May - Beth Morgan arrives in the village. (First appearance of the character)
- 15th July - Gordon Cunningham proposes marriage to Helen Richardson but she rejects.
- 9th August - Helen Richardson and Gordon Cunningham marry.
- 6th September - Finn's grandmother, Lady Molly, dies suddenly.
- 9th September - On the day of Kurt Benson's return to Hollyoaks, the Benson family are informed that Kurt has been fatally struck by a jet ski in a hit-and-run accident. (When Kurt returned in 2020, he revealed that he had faked his death by switching his ID with the man who was actually struck by the jet ski.)
- 13th September - Kurt Benson's funeral takes place. Lucy Benson is kidnapped by Rob Hawthorn, who is revealed to in fact be alive. New student Geri Hudson arrives in the village, asking Adam Morgan for directions. Adam also directs Nikki Sullivan to the halls. (First appearance of Rob since 1998, and first appearances of Geri and Nikki)
- 14th September - Geri Hudson and Nikki Sullivan meet their new neighbours at the Hall of Residence, Alex Bell and Sam Smallwood. Rob Hawthorn attempts to drown Lucy Benson, Ruth Osborne, Lewis Richardson and Tony Hutchinson in the nautical test facility. (First appearances of Alex and Sam)
- 15th September - New student Anna Green arrives in the village, moving into the Hall of Residence. (First appearance of the character)
- 20th September - Tony Hutchinson and Lewis Richardson manage to find an escape hatch, which allows them to escape into the River Dee. Tony manages to revive an unconscious Lucy Benson.
- 23rd September - Darren Osborne returns to the village with his father, Jack. (First appearance of Darren since 1997)
- 7th October - Nikki Sullivan collapses after contracting meningitis. Cindy Cunningham is injured after being attacked by her boyfriend, Sean Tate.
- October - Rob Hawthorn attempts to drown Carol Groves in a bathtub.
- 4th November - Holly Cunningham is injured when she burns herself on Sean Tate's sparklers. Kate Patrick leaves the village alone, leaving behind Joe Johnson after their incestuous affair is discovered. (Last appearance of Kate until 2000)
- 18th November - Nikki Sullivan's boyfriend, Dan Sanders, arrives to visit her, having just been recently released from a prison in Leeds. (First appearance of Dan)
- December - Rob Hawthorn and Beth Morgan get engaged.
- 22nd December - Sean Tate leaves the village for Tenerife, leaving Cindy and Holly Cunningham at the airport when Cindy forgets Holly's passport, but taking Holly's savings with him. (Last appearance of the character until 2000)
- 28th December - In three episodes set on 31st December, Rob Hawthorn is killed in a bus explosion. Tom Cunningham is born to Helen and Gordon Cunningham. (First appearance of Tom, final appearance of Rob)
Real life events
- 8th June - Owen Warner (Romeo Nightingale is born.
- 8th September - Hollyoaks Highs: The Wicked Bits is transmitted.
- 13th September - 16th September - Hollyoaks introduces two extra episodes as a one-off for a special set week of episodes.
- 22nd September - Beginning with Episode 351, Hollyoaks introduces a Wednesday episode and begins airing three episodes per week.
- 28th September - Bethannie Hare (Cher McQueen) is born.
- 14th November - Ellis Hollins (Tom Cunningham) is born.
- 19th November - Niamh Blackshaw (Juliet Nightingale) is born.
See also: Category:1999 debuts.
See also: Category:1999 returns.
|Rob Hawthorn||Warren Derosa||13th September 1999|
|Darren Osborne||Ashley Taylor Dawson (recasted from Adam Booth)||23rd September 1999|
See also: Category:1999 departures.
See also: Category:1999 episodes.
- Bumper episode.
|←1998 1999 2000→|