|←1996 1997 1998→|
1997 was Hollyoaks's third year of production. This year, Hollyoaks received its first award nomination - "Most Popular Children's Programme" at the National Television Awards.
1997 saw an increase in the pacing of storylines, with bigger events occuring more regularly, as well as an increase in topical storylines such as Bazz coming out as bisexual, and sixteen year old Cindy Cunningham discovering that she was pregnant.
This year also saw the amount of deaths double, with Michael St. John Thomas falling from a roof during a siege in March 1997, Ollie Benson and Lee Stanley dying from injuries in a car accident in October 1997, and Dawn Cunningham losing her battle with leukemia in December 1997.
Other storylines included Kurt Benson being accused of attempted murder, Jack Osborne learning that his affair with the underage Dawn Cunningham in 1991 resulted in the birth of a secret daughter, Jude Cunningham struggling with alcoholism, and the arrival of Jill Patrick (a love interest for Jack Osborne) and her family.
- 6th January - Jack Osborne discovers that he has a six year old daughter, conceived during an affair with Dawn Cunningham.
- 27th February - Jude Cunningham and Maddie Parker are kidnapped by Michael St. John Thomas.
- 3rd March - Michael St. John Thomas forces Jude Cunningham to drive him and Maddie Parker to Loch Lomond so he can elope with Maddie. The trio end up on a roof-top, and Michael attempts to throw Jude from the roof. However, he is distracted by Maddie, and Jude pushes Michael from the roof to his death. (Final appearance of the character)
- 17th March - Susi Harrison's father dies from a massive cardiac arrest. Bazz is homophobically attacked.
- 27th March - Kurt Benson attacks Spike upon catching him attempting to force himself on Ruth Osborne. During the fight, Kurt pushes Spike, who falls from the scaffolding and onto a spike.
- 3rd April - Kurt Benson is arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of Spike.
- 9th June - Kurt Benson's trial for actual bodily harm and the attempted murder of Spike begins.
- 12th June - Kurt Benson is found not guilty on the charges of actual bodily harm and the attempted murder of Spike.
- 16th June - After Jude Cunningham exposes Jack Osborne and Dawn Cunningham's affair in 1991, Celia Osborne takes their son, Darren, and leaves for the United States. (Last appearance of Darren until 1999, and final appearance of Celia)
- 10th July - Cindy Cunningham discovers that she is pregnant.
- 11th August - Julie Matthews jilts Tony Hutchinson at the altar after realising she doesn't actually love him. Tony is thrilled as he was going to do the same. Jude Cunningham accidentally sets fire to Maddie Parker's flat.
- 25th September - Maddie Parker leaves the village, moving back home to her mother. (Final appearance of the character)
- 6th October - Driving at speed whilst drunk, Lee Stanley flips the car which he and Ollie Benson are driving in, in an attempt to avoid a reversing lorry. Kurt Benson also crashes the car in which he, Tony Hutchinson and Bazz are in, leaving Kurt comatose. Bazz goes missing following the accident. Max Cunningham meets O.B., whom he bickers with. (First appearance of O.B.)
- 7th October - Ollie Benson and Lee Stanley die of their injuries sustained in the car accident. (Final appearances of Stan and Ollie)
- 8th October - Zack Loveday is born.
- 9th October - Kurt Benson awakens from his coma. Bazz is found.
- 20th October - Ollie Benson's funeral takes place.
- 27th October - Spike takes Ruth Osborne hostage and attempts to rape her, but she is rescued by Rob Hawthorn.
- 6th November - Kate Patrick arrives in the village. (First appearance of the character)
- 30th November - Amber Sharpe is born.
- 18th December - Cindy Cunningham goes into labour.
- 22nd December - On Christmas Day, Jambo Bolton proposes to Dawn Cunningham on a boat ride, which she accepts. However, she dies from leukiaemia shortly afterwards. Cindy Cunningham gives birth to the daughter of her and her late boyfriend Lee Stanley, who she names Holly Cunningham. (Final appearance of Dawn and first appearance of Holly)
- 29th December - Dawn Cunningham's funeral takes place. Cindy Cunningham collapses from an infection developed whilst giving birth.
Real life events
- 28th January - Connor Calland (Jordan Price) is born.
- 20th June - Theo Graham (Hunter McQueen) is born.
- 24th June - Kassius Nelson (Jade Albright) is born.
- 11th July - Persephone Swales-Dawson (Nico Blake) is born.
- Janice Bolton was recast from Debbie Arnold to Stephanie Schonfield.
- Max Cunningham was recast from Ben Sheriff to Matt Littler.
See also: Category:1997 debuts.
See also: Category:1997 departures.
|Janice Bolton||Stephanie Schonfield||1997|
|Jeff Bolton||Stephen MacKenna||1997|
|Susi Harrison||Deborah Chad||1997|
|Julie Matthews||Julie Buckfield||1997|
|Michael St. John Thomas||Tom Hudson||3rd March 1997|
|Celia Osborne||Carol Noakes||16th June 1997|
|Darren Osborne||Adam Booth||16th June 1997|
|Maddie Parker||Yasmin Bannerman||25th September 1997|
|Ollie Benson||Paul Leyshon||7th October 1997|
|Lee Stanley||Nathan Valente||7th October 1997|
|Bazz||Toby Sawyer||December 1997|
|Dawn Cunningham||Lisa Williamson||22nd December 1997|
See also: Category:1997 episodes.
|←1996 1997 1998→|